Job Responsibilities : Software Development Manager (L6) – AWS Backup
Salary : $107736 per year
Company : Amazon Dev Centre Canada ULC
Location : Remote
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years in engineering people management positions, and building teams and proven ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
- 8+ years in software development (Back-end Software Development)
- 5+ years of experience in multi-tier software architecture
- Experience building software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
There are petabytes of stored around the world, and we want to ensure that our customers sleep soundly at night knowing that their backup is securely protected from unexpected loss, corruption, and bad actors. AWS Backup enables you to centralize and automate data protection across AWS services. AWS Backup offers a cost-effective, fully managed, policy-based service that simplifies data protection at scale. AWS Backup also helps you support your regulatory compliance obligations and meets your business continuity goals. We are building a backup management service that can scale without limits, allowing customers to backup their data across thousands of accounts and getting reports on all their backed up resources. Our customers range from start-ups to leading web companies to Global 500 companies in financial services, healthcare, and technology.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Software Development Manager to lead and grow a talented team building and operating an essential service for many AWS customers.
As a software development manager in Backup you will…
- Take overall responsibility for growing and leading the business continuity software development team responsible for providing essential backup/restore workflows and automations cross-regions and cross-accounts
- Lead the design, implementation, testing and deployment of these services and prioritize the backlog.
- Mentor a team of talented and experienced software engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues, design tradeoffs, and feature and schedule prioritization.
- Shape a culture of innovation and serve your team of engineers so that they can leverage their full potential and grow.
- Work with senior leadership to develop business targets and resource requirements, influence our technical and business strategy.
- You will be successful in this role, if you bring deep technical and software expertise, and have strong business acumen and judgment. You have the ability to define visionary, groundbreaking products and the ability to hire and lead a team.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a team designing a solution within a fast growing business, shape the technology, product and the business. You should bring technical and software expertise, the ability to deliver solid code that has a broad business impact and the ability to create software that achieves its operational goals.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Vancouver office, but we’re also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home and adapt well to the unusual circumstances like current pandemic where the entire team is working remotely. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm in normal circumstances.
This position involves on-call technical escalation responsibilities typically for one week every two months.. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior leaders truly enjoy mentoring and growing other leaders.
Diverse and Inclusive work culture –Inclusive Team Culture Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity), Glamazon (Glamazon helps make Amazon a great place to work by educating and informing employees about LGBTQ+ issues and opportunities.) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
- Experience influencing engineering best practices in your organization.
- Experience delivering and operating large-scale distributed systems
- Experience in Java and AWS Services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.